- Neuropathy is a problem with the nerves
- Research shows CBD assist with pain, numbness of the feet and protect the nerves.
- CBD promotes the balance of neurons and make sure they work at optimum conditions.
- CBD products like oils, vapes, tinctures and topical creams have been used by researchers to assist people with neuropathy.
Information from a 2017 research shows that CBD may help prevent chemotherapy-induced peripheral neuropathy. However the research only reported the combined effect of CBD and THC. Wondering how this is even possible? Well that’s the purpose of this article. In this article, we would look at neuropathy, its possible causes and how CBD may help users.
What is neuropathy?
Neuropathy is a condition that happens when there's a problem with the nerves in your body. Nerves are like messengers that carry signals between different parts of your body and your brain. When these nerves get damaged or don't work well, it can cause problems like pain, numbness, and tingling in the affected areas. Imagine it like a disrupted phone line between your body and your brain, causing miscommunication and uncomfortable sensations. Neuropathy can be caused by various reasons, such as diabetes, infections, or injuries, and it often affects the hands and feet.
What are the common symptoms of neuropathy?
Neuropathy can bring different symptoms, but common ones include:
- Tingling and Numbness: It's like pins and needles or a "falling asleep" sensation in your hands or feet.
- Pain: You might feel sharp or shooting pains, making it uncomfortable.
- Weakness: Your muscles might feel less strong or have difficulty doing regular tasks.
- Coordination Problems: You may stumble or have difficulty coordinating movements.
- Sensitivity: Everyday things might feel painful or uncomfortable, like the touch of clothing or a gentle breeze.
- Changes in Temperature Sensation: You may struggle to detect hot or cold temperatures properly.
How can CBD help people with Neuropathy?
While research into CBD for neuropathy is in its early stages there are quite a few scientific reports that shows full spectrum CBD products may hold a promise in assisting people with neuropathy. We are particular about full-spectrum CBD products since it holds a combination of different cannabinoids including CBDa, CBGa, CBN, CBD and THC. The combined effects of these cannabinoids have been reported to provide the following effects;
- Preventing chemotherapy-induced peripheral neuropathy:
Chemotherapy-induced peripheral neuropathy (CIPN) is a known side effect of certain chemotherapy drugs, causing damage to peripheral nerves and resulting in symptoms like pain, numbness, and tingling in the extremities. Research on the potential of CBD (cannabidiol) in preventing CIPN has shown promising but preliminary results. In animal studies, CBD has demonstrated neuroprotective effects, suggesting it may shield nerves from damage caused by chemotherapy. A research paper published in 2017 shows that CBD oils had enhanced effects on people with CIPN
- Pain improvement
Neuropathy often brings along unpleasant pains, and a study from 2020 aimed to see if CBD could offer relief. In this study, 29 people were examined to understand how topical CBD oil might help with peripheral neuropathy. The findings were encouraging - the study revealed a significant improvement in both pain levels and troublesome sensations. This suggests that using CBD oil on the skin might be a promising approach to ease the discomfort associated with peripheral neuropathy.
- Neurprotective effects:
Imagine your nerves as tiny messengers in your body. Sometimes, these messengers (neurons) can get hurt or damaged, causing problems like pain or numbness. CBD has this amazing ability to act like a shield for your nerve messengers. It helps keep them safe from potential harm or damage.
In a study from 2022, it was found that CBD has protective and anti-inflammatory effects on the nerves. It does this by interacting with something called the A2A receptor, sort of like a key fitting into a lock. When CBD interacts with this receptor, it activates a signaling process in the immune cells, acting like a control switch. This helps by slowing down the uptake of adenosine, a molecule involved in inflammation. CBD can be like a helpful tool that eases inflammation and protects our nerves by using this special receptor.
What are the best CBD products for neuropathy?
Researchers have discovered the roles of CBD topicals, creams, oils, tinctures and vapes in helping deal with the symptoms of neuropathy. It is important to note that no two CBD products are the same and if you want the best you must focus on the following factors.
- Source and Quality: Look for CBD products derived from high-quality, organically grown hemp. The source of the hemp can impact the quality of the CBD. Check if the product has been tested by a third-party lab for quality and purity.
- Type of CBD: CBD products come in three main types: full-spectrum, broad-spectrum, and isolate. Full-spectrum contains all cannabinoids, broad-spectrum contains multiple cannabinoids but no THC, and isolate contains only CBD. Choose based on your preference and any potential sensitivities to THC.
- Extraction Method: Consider the extraction method used to obtain CBD. CO2 extraction is generally preferred for its safety and effectiveness. Avoid products that use potentially harmful solvents.
- CBD Concentration: Check the CBD concentration per serving in milligrams. This information helps you understand the potency of the product. Start with lower concentrations if you are new to CBD and adjust as needed.
- Form of CBD: CBD products come in various forms, including oils, tinctures, capsules, edibles, and topicals. Choose a form that aligns with your preferences and lifestyle. For example, oils and tinctures allow for precise dosing, while edibles provide a convenient and discreet option.
- Ingredients: Examine the additional ingredients in the product. Opt for products with natural ingredients and avoid those with unnecessary additives or preservatives. Be aware of potential allergens if you have sensitivities.
- Reviews and Reputation: Read customer reviews and consider the brand's reputation. Reviews can offer insights into the effectiveness and quality of a product. Choose products from reputable and transparent companies.
- THC Content: Check the THC content in the product, especially if you want to avoid THC altogether or are subject to drug testing. Full-spectrum products may contain trace amounts of THC, while broad-spectrum and isolate products should have zero THC.
Frequently asked Questions
Can CBD be used to treat neuropathy?
Although there are limited research works on CBD for neuropathy, research shows CBD may hold a promise in dealing with some neuropathy related challenges like nerve damage, pain and numbness.
How do you use CBD oil for nerves?
Choose a high-quality CBD oil, start with a low dosage, and administer it sublingually for faster absorption. Consistency is key, and monitoring your body's response over time is important. For localized nerve pain, consider using CBD topically. Be patient, as it may take a few weeks to notice effects, and adjust the dosage or method if needed. Keep track of any side effects and consult with a healthcare provider if concerns arise. Overall, individual responses vary, so prioritize safety and seek professional advice for a personalized approach.
How does CBD help feet?
CBD may offer potential benefits for various foot-related issues through its anti-inflammatory, analgesic, and neuroprotective properties. Its interaction with the endocannabinoid system may provide relief for nerve-related problems like neuropathy, reducing pain and discomfort. CBD's anti-inflammatory effects make it a possible option for managing foot inflammation, arthritis, and injuries. Whether addressing arthritis-related pain, skin conditions, or muscle tension in the feet, CBD's diverse properties may contribute to overall foot health.
Want to Learn More?
- An Interview with Our Founder and CEO
- How Heavy Metals And Pesticides Are Getting Into CBD Oil
- Hemp History Timeline (CBD History)
- What is CBD? FAQ and 101 Guide
- What Are Hemp Oil Benefits?
Bhunia S, Kolishetti N, Arias AY, Vashist A, Nair M. Cannabidiol for neurodegenerative disorders: A comprehensive review. Front Pharmacol. 2022 Oct 25;13:989717. doi: 10.3389/fphar.2022.989717. PMID: 36386183; PMCID: PMC9640911.
Xu DH, Cullen BD, Tang M, Fang Y. The Effectiveness of Topical Cannabidiol Oil in Symptomatic Relief of Peripheral Neuropathy of the Lower Extremities. Curr Pharm Biotechnol. 2020;21(5):390-402. doi: 10.2174/1389201020666191202111534. PMID: 31793418.
Hall N, James B, Bhuiyan MAN, Crane E, Falgout C, Murnane KS. Topical cannabidiol is well tolerated in individuals with a history of elite physical performance and chronic lower extremity pain. J Cannabis Res. 2023 Mar 30;5(1):11. doi: 10.1186/s42238-023-00179-8. PMID: 36991501; PMCID: PMC10061782.
Helen Senderovich, Hayley Wagman, Dennis Zhang, Danusha Vinoraj, Sarah Waicus; The Effectiveness of Cannabis and Cannabis Derivatives in Treating Lower Back Pain in the Aged Population: A Systematic Review. Gerontology 1 June 2022; 68 (6): 612–624. https://doi.org/10.1159/000518269