- CBD may reduce sports related anxiety and pre-competition stress.
- Using CBD 15-30 minutes before workout may help in providing energy, and improving focus.
- CBD offer different effects depending on the product combination or formulation. For relaxation and focus, consider CBD with calming terpenes. For pain relief, topical CBD products might be beneficial.
- Most body builders prefer CBD because it may promote faster muscle recovery and reduce pain.
Adding CBD to your workout routine can be very beneficial. Prior to exercise, CBD may provide an energy boost and enhance focus while using CBD after a workout can provide valuable benefit in reducing inflammation and promoting relief from sore muscles and joints.
- Sports related anxiety:
Elevated pre-competition stress, known as Sports Performance Anxiety (SPA), poses a threat to athletic performance
CBD exhibits anxiolytic effects, serving as a potential remedy for anxiety-related conditions. Through its interaction with the endocannabinoid system, CBD influences receptors associated with mood regulation and stress response. Early clinical studies suggest its efficacy in reducing anxiety, particularly in situations inducing stress, as seen in cases of Social Anxiety Disorder (SAD). CBD's calming properties may result from its impact on neurotransmitter signaling, affecting the release of serotonin in the brain. This modulation of neurotransmitters contributes to a sense of relaxation, making CBD a promising option for those seeking natural anxiety relief without the psychoactive effects associated with THC.
- Enhanced Focus:
CBD's interaction with the endocannabinoid system, implicated in mood and cognitive function regulation, offers potential benefits for focus enhancement. By reducing distractions and noise from daily life, CBD enables individuals to concentrate on optimizing workouts and achieving personal bests.
- Improved Sleep for Optimal Performance:
Quality sleep significantly impacts exercise motivation and athletic performance. CBD's interaction with sleep-related receptors suggests a potential role in enhancing sleep quality. Research supports this, with a 2017 review proposing CBD's efficacy in treating sleep disorders, and trials indicating increased self-reported sleep duration with 160 mg CBD, particularly in individuals with insomnia.
- Muscle Recovery:
Considering that the majority of tissue repair occurs during sleep, enhanced sleep, coupled with CBD's anti-inflammatory effects, may contribute to an improved muscle recovery process. This dual impact positions CBD as a potential aid in facilitating both restful sleep and efficient muscle recovery for athletes.
- Pain relief
CBD has gained attention for its potential in alleviating workout-related pain and aiding recovery. As a natural anti-inflammatory, CBD may reduce muscle soreness and inflammation post-exercise. Its interaction with the endocannabinoid system can influence pain perception and immune system responses, contributing to an overall analgesic effect. Some athletes incorporate CBD topicals or oils into their post-workout routine, applying them directly to targeted areas for localized relief. Additionally, CBD's potential to improve sleep quality can indirectly support the recovery process, as rest is crucial for muscle repair. While research on CBD for workout pain is still evolving, many users report positive experiences, prompting interest in its role as a complementary tool in managing exercise-induced discomfort.
- Stress reduction
CBD shows promise in reducing stress among athletes. By interacting with the endocannabinoid system, CBD may modulate stress responses and promote a sense of calm. Studies suggest its potential to lower anxiety levels, benefiting individuals facing performance pressures or competition stress. Athletes often incorporate CBD into their routines to manage pre-event nerves and enhance overall well-being. The anxiolytic effects of CBD, without the psychoactive properties of THC, make it an appealing option for stress reduction.
How to use CBD for preworkout sessions
Using CBD for pre-workout sessions requires careful consideration of factors like dosage, timing, and product choice. Here's a guide on how to incorporate CBD into your pre-workout routine:
- Choose the Right Product: Select a high-quality CBD product such as oils, capsules, or edibles. Ensure it is from a reputable brand, free from contaminants, and provides the desired CBD concentration.
- Determine the Right Dosage: Start with a low CBD dosage and gradually increase if needed. Individual responses vary, so finding the optimal dose may require some experimentation.
- Timing is Key: Take CBD about 30–60 minutes before your workout. This allows sufficient time for absorption and onset of effects.
- Consider Your Workout Goals: Different CBD products may be suitable for various workout goals. For relaxation and focus, consider CBD with calming terpenes. For pain relief, topical CBD products might be beneficial.
- Monitor Your Body's Response: Pay attention to how your body reacts to CBD. Note any changes in mood, energy levels, or focus. Adjust the dosage or timing accordingly.
- Stay Hydrated: CBD can have dehydrating effects, so ensure you stay well-hydrated before and during your workout.
- Combine with Other Pre-Workout Habits: Integrate CBD into your existing pre-workout routine, including warm-up exercises, hydration, and proper nutrition.
- Be Consistent: For best results, incorporate CBD into your pre-workout routine consistently. Regular use may provide cumulative benefits.
Frequently asked questions
Is CBD good before workout?
CBD offers pre-workout benefits, especially for individuals prone to pre-exercise nerves or anxiety. Research suggests CBD's potential to alleviate stress can be advantageous for those seeking a calmer and focused mindset before engaging in physical activities or athletic performances.
Can CBD increase your energy level?
Regardless of the condition, CBD oil has the potential to increase energy levels when consumed at the appropriate dosage. Studies indicate that low doses, such as 15 mg, exhibit alerting properties and enhance wakefulness, as shown by several researchers.
Why do bodybuilders use CBD?
For faster muscle recovery. Research shows that CBD may help reduce chronic inflammation without affecting the muscle-building process. This is a great advantage for body builders and people who work out.
Want to Learn More?
- How To Boost Your Mood In Six Quick Ways
- CBD for Gut Health
- CBD Hemp Oil for Winter
- Why is Soil Quality Critical to CBD?
- Benefits of CBD Oil for Athletes
Babson KA, Sottile J, Morabito D. Cannabis, Cannabinoids, and Sleep: a Review of the Literature. Curr Psychiatry Rep. 2017 Apr;19(4):23. doi: 10.1007/s11920-017-0775-9. PMID: 28349316.
Pinzone, A.G., Erb, E.K., Humm, S.M. et al. Cannabis use for exercise recovery in trained individuals: a survey study. J Cannabis Res 5, 32 (2023). https://doi.org/10.1186/s42238-023-00198-5
McCartney, D., Benson, M. J., Desbrow, B., Irwin, C., Suraev, A., & McGregor, I. S. (2020). Cannabidiol and Sports Performance: A Narrative Review of Relevant Evidence and Recommendations for Future Research. Sports Medicine - Open, 6. https://doi.org/10.1186/s40798-020-00251-0
Flores, V. A., Kisiolek, J. N., Ramani, A., Townsend, R., Rodriguez, E., Butler, B., & Stewart, L. K. (2022). Effects of Oral Cannabidiol on Health and Fitness in Healthy Adults: An 8-Week Randomized Trial. Nutrients, 15(12), 2664. https://doi.org/10.3390/nu15122664
(2021). Potential Role of Cannabidiol on Sports Recovery: A Narrative Review. Frontiers in Physiology, 12, 722550. https://doi.org/10.3389/fphys.2021.722550