- CBD affects the male and female reproductive systems in different ways. While it may promote female sexual health, some researchers believe it may reduce fertility in men. The report was however linked to smoking cannabis.
- Scientists discovered that sperm cells have an endocannabinoid system which guides it to fertilize the eggs.
- CBD oils may promote sex drive by reducing anxiety, improving libido, and may serve as a lubricant.
- The best CBD products include CBD-infused lubricants, CBD oils, nasal sprays and edibles.
The endocannabinoid system plays a critical role in fertility and may also hold some promise in boosting sex drive. In this article, we would discuss the possible roles of CBD for sex and how it may offer different benefits in male and females.
What is the connection between cannabinoids and sex drive?
There is quite a high level of debate in the role of cannabinoids and the endocannabinoid system in sex. This may be related to the fact that CBD affects the male and female reproductive systems differently. Some researchers have discovered the ECS receptors in sexual reproductive organs like the testicles. There are also reports on how sperms and the ovum possess a unique ECS and how it plays a major role in guiding fertilization.
The role of cannabinoids like CBD and THC on libido is not well established. While some studies suggest they enhance it, while others indicate a decrease. For instance a research published in 2023 shows that chronic cannabis use in males is linked to lower sex drive, with more use correlating with diminished desire.
CBD might positively influence libido by alleviating anxiety, a factor that can suppress sexual desire. Some believe that reducing anxiety may lead to an increased interest in sex.
Most claims about CBD boosting sex drive are based on personal experiences rather than extensive research. While one person may praise its effects, another may feel no change.
How may CBD affect sex drive?
- Arousal and Sensation: CBD may enhance sexual experiences by promoting relaxation and increasing blood flow, potentially contributing to heightened arousal and sensation. Some users report improved sensitivity and pleasure.
- Anxiety Reduction: CBD's anxiolytic effects may help alleviate performance anxiety or stress-related issues, fostering a more relaxed and enjoyable sexual experience. Reduced anxiety levels can positively impact overall sexual well-being.
- Pain Relief: CBD's anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties may alleviate discomfort or pain during intercourse, potentially improving sexual comfort and satisfaction, especially for individuals with conditions like vaginismus or pelvic pain.
- Libido and Hormonal Balance: While research on CBD's direct impact on libido and hormonal balance is limited, some users report positive effects. CBD's potential influence on stress and anxiety reduction may indirectly contribute to improved libido.
- Enhanced Connection: CBD's calming effects may promote emotional intimacy and communication between partners, fostering a deeper connection. Shared use of CBD products may contribute to a relaxed and enjoyable shared experience.
What are the best CBD products for sex?
If you are interested in trying out the possible therapeutic powers of CBD for sex, we suggest you try the following products.
- personal lubricants infused with CBD
Personal lubricants infused with CBD have gained popularity for their ability to not only reduce friction but also introduce potential benefits like increased blood flow and heightened sensitivity.
- CBD message lotions and CBD oils
CBD massage lotions, on the other hand, leverage the compound's anti-inflammatory properties to potentially alleviate tension and enhance the overall massage experience.
- CBD oral sprays
CBD oral sprays offer a discreet and convenient way to incorporate CBD into intimate moments, potentially contributing to a relaxed and enjoyable atmosphere.
- CBD-infused edibles
CBD-infused edibles, such as gummies or chocolates, provide an alternative consumption method, allowing users to experience the compound's effects in a pleasurable and tasty form.
How to use CBD for sex?
- Choose CBD Products: Opt for CBD products such as oils, edibles, or topicals, depending on personal preferences and desired effects. Ensure they are from reputable sources and accurately labeled.
- Dosage: Start with a low CBD dosage and gradually increase until you find the optimal amount for your needs. Individual responses vary, so experimenting with different doses is key.
- Timing: Plan ahead, allowing enough time for the CBD to take effect. Factors like metabolism and the chosen product influence onset time, so consider this in your intimate preparations.
- Communication: Discuss CBD use with your partner to ensure mutual consent and comfort. Open communication fosters a supportive and enjoyable environment, and both partners should be aware of and agree to its inclusion.
- Experiment Responsibly: Explore different CBD products and methods to find what works best for you. Be attentive to changes in sensation or mood and adjust the dosage or product type accordingly.
- Consider Professional Advice: If addressing specific sexual concerns, consult with an expert for professional guidance. They can provide insight into potential underlying issues and help create a holistic approach to sexual well-being.
Note that CBD affects individuals differently, and its use for sexual enhancement is a personal choice. Prioritize consent, communication, and individual comfort when incorporating CBD into intimate moments.
IS CBD safe for sex?
While pure CBD is generally regarded as safe and well tolerated by the body, some individuals may experience side effects such as drowsiness, dry mouth, and nausea. These side effects may be trigger by using a contaminated product or taking large doses.
Frequently asked questions
What are the effects of cannabinoids on pregnancy?
This is also a topic of debate as many people have attested to the possible roles of CBD in promoting fetal development, assisting with labor pains while limited research suggests that cannabis use during pregnancy may be associated with adverse outcomes, including potential risks to fetal development. Pregnant individuals are generally advised to avoid cannabinoids.
Can CBD help me get pregnant?
There's no conclusive evidence that CBD directly impacts fertility or aids in getting pregnant. However, some people have attested to getting pregnant after using CBD oils and other forms of CBD therapy.
How does CBD affect male fertility?
Research on CBD's direct impact on male fertility is limited. Some studies suggest that chronic cannabis use may be associated with lower sperm count.
Want to Learn More?
- Is CBD Oil Use While Pregnant Safe?
- How Does CBD Oil Make You Feel: What To Know
- Is CBD Legal? Here's What To Know
- How To Take Control of Your Mind
- How To Finally Quiet Your Mind In 6 Ways
Ilnitsky, S., & Uum, S. V. (2019). Marijuana and fertility. CMAJ : Canadian Medical Association Journal, 191(23), E638. https://doi.org/10.1503/cmaj.181577
Wise LA, Wesselink AK, Hatch EE, Rothman KJ, Mikkelsen EM, Sørensen HT, Mahalingaiah S. Marijuana use and fecundability in a North American preconception cohort study. J Epidemiol Community Health. 2018 Mar;72(3):208-215. doi: 10.1136/jech-2017-209755. Epub 2017 Dec 22. PMID: 29273628.
Henson JD, Vitetta L, Quezada M, Hall S. Enhancing Endocannabinoid Control of Stress with Cannabidiol. J Clin Med. 2021 Dec 14;10(24):5852. doi: 10.3390/jcm10245852. PMID: 34945148; PMCID: PMC8704602.