- Two-third of Americans are living with gut issues without being aware of its consequences.
- About 1 million people develop hemorrhoids annually.
- People with gut health challenges often use vitamins and supplements to help their gut.
- People with gut health challenges are most-likely to be found on Twitter (X) and reddit than other social media platforms.
- The most common ingredient used by people with gut health challenges are turmeric, vitamin B-12 and adaptogenic herbs like Ashwadangha
Why is gut health important?
Gut health is important because our tummy, or gut, has lots of tiny living things called microbes. These little helpers do many important jobs to keep us healthy. They help us digest our food, absorb nutrients, and even make sure our immune system is strong. When our gut is healthy, it's like having a strong army of good microbes inside us that fights off bad things. A happy and healthy gut also helps our brain and mood. So, when we eat good foods like fruits, veggies, and other healthy stuff, we make our gut strong, and that's super important for our overall well-being!
How many people had gut health challenges in 2023?
Gut health trends across 2023 shows that most Americans are not aware of what they need to do to keep their gut healthy. Information from research shows that two-thirds of Americans are living with gut issues without being aware of its consequences.
It is pertinent to note that gut health consists of several disease conditions including hemorrhoids, irritable bowel syndrome, celiac disease and Crohn’s disease. Let’s look at how many people had these conditions in 2023.
How many people had hemorrhoids in 2023?
While there are about 10.4 million people with hemorrhoids in the U.S research shows that about 1 million people come down with hemorrhoids every year. This possibility of coming with hemorrhoids is expected to increase as people grow older with senior from 51 years and above experiencing the worst cases.
How many people with Irritable Bowel Syndrome in 2023?
Between 25 and 45 million people suffer with Irritable bowel syndrome in the United states. The disease is most common in women and younger adults. On a global scale, the disease affects 1 in every 25 adults.
How many people had celiac disease in 2023?
It is estimated that 1 in every 100 American adults suffer with celiac disease. So far, the disease have been diagnosed in over 3 million Americans.
What Supplement or products are preferred by People with gut health challenges?
Many people with digestive issues often use vitamins and supplements to help their gut. Research from Brightfield Group shows that those with digestive problems are more likely to buy specific supplements like probiotics, collagen, and kombucha.
What are the most common ingredients for Digestive health in 2023?
Apart from the mentioned supplements, certain ingredients have become popular in 2023 for their potential benefits for digestion. Some of these ingredients are listed below;
- Turmeric was the most liked ingredient thanks to its ability to reduce inflammation. About 13% of people dealing with gut health challenges have attested to using it.
- Vitamin B-12 is a favored ingredient for maintaining gut health because it is vital for various functions, including red blood cell formation, nerve function, energy metabolism, gut lining maintenance, and support for a healthy gut microbiome. Data from industry trends in 2023 shows about 30% of consumers aiming for digestive health tend to include vitamin B-12 in their wellness routine.
- Adaptogenic herbs like ginseng, cordyceps and Maca are also notable in promoting gut health by helping the body manage stress, which can affect gut health. Elderberry and ashwagandha, in particular, have been consistently purchased by this group over the past year.
What are the most used Shopping Channels and Social Media Platforms for gut health challenges?
Consumers mostly buy supplements from regular grocery stores, online platforms (especially Amazon), and pharmacies such as Walgreens and Duane Read. Interestingly, health food stores like Whole Foods are among the least preferred places for consumers with digestive issues to buy supplements, with only 13% choosing them as their go-to retailers.
People dealing with gut health challenges are most likely to be on Twitter (X) and Reddit than other social media platforms.
Want to Learn More?
- Nesas Hemp—the first to receive the Exclusive Tested Safe Seal.
- How To Boost Your Mood In Six Quick Ways
- CBD for Gut Health
- Why Flavored CBD Is Low Quality
- What Is Ayurveda, And Is It For Me?
Global digestive health market (2023). https://www.globenewswire.com/en/news-release/2023/04/26/2655230/28124/en/Global-Digestive-Health-Market-Report-2023-Rising-Geriatric-Population-is-Driving-Growth.html. Acesssed 12/18/2023
BrightField Group; Latest Gut health trends in 2023. https://blog.brightfieldgroup.com/digestive-gut-health-consumer-insights-2023 Accessed 12/18/2023